A Brief Introduction




The following posts will be both spur of the moment and meticulously thought out. While the two of us have an idea of where our writing should be going, it is safe to say that the end is not in sight. We invite you to follow us as we dive to the depths and traverse the heights of our unique human conditions. Fast Times is not about any one thing, rather it is an opportunity to see the world through the eyes of two college students. "What's the point?" you may ask. We aren't making any ascriptions and do not represent the current national student body, but maybe the following complex contemplations and critiques will reveal within themselves some sort of truth about the world in which we live. In two years our generation will enter the job market. We are the future. Maybe it's time to listen up.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Facebook Status: Japan flight at 7:30 AM, Takin' the SIM card out of my phone at midnight. If you need to reach me after that, message me on here. Also, check out Godzilla's Back: https://godzillasback.blogspot.com/.


Farewell land of the free, home of the brave.  Good bye hamburgers, flora and fauna… Tahoe, Stinson, San Francisco and Boston.  Peace out Boston College and everyone who I have been lucky to cross paths with on this side of the Pacific Ocean.  Deep breath.  Now that is out of the way, time to look forward.  Tomorrow morning, 7:30 AM, I will be lifting off and soaring to the land of the rising sun.  This trip has been such a long time coming, and I am ready to get back to business.  Summer 2010 has been a parade of memories to which I will hold for the rest of my life.  Fireside chats watching the sunset made for some of the most chill California nights I have ever seen.  Working for the San Rafael child care system taught me so much about the mindset and methods required to teach and raise future generations.  Waking up next to my girlfriend for the past three weeks has been directly responsible for the newest smile lines creasing the corners of my eyes.  I could not possibly have asked for anything more than I had.

Tomorrow’s ten to twelve hour flight will be trying to say the least, but Tokyo is the light at the end of that tunnel.  What a shining light it is.  I am full of expectations, but there will not be too many surprises.  I am most excited to see Japan without the veneer of awe accompanying the first impression presented to all foreigners arriving at Narita airport.  This is my second trip, but unlike my first traipse about Honshu, this trek is no two-week getaway.  September 8th (Japan time is a day ahead) until July 30th;  eleven months eating, breathing and sleeping Japanese.  Fluency and cultural understandings are the goals to which I will strive, and I know I will be having the time of my life.   Other emotions bubbling to the surface?.. I cannot begin to pick anything out from the pool of thoughts floating between my ears.  Words do not often fail me, but realizing I am leaving behind everything I have ever known in exchange for so much I have never understood leaves me speechless.  Now is not the time to talk about what I will do abroad, I have not done it yet, and the past seems so trivial before the colossal undertaking that is leaving America for almost a year.

For now, all I can do is bid my nation adieu.  I will wander home soon, and when I do return it will be to the land of my childhood, my formative years.  However, that is quite the stretch of time laying between me and that next bridge.  Hello land of the rising sun, Godzilla’s birthplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think.